Note: The following information is lifted from BCA, and is provided for reference only. As this page may not be updated as frequently, you are highly encouraged to check with the authorities for the latest updates and information.
An advertisement means any logo, symbol, sign, notice, representation or other visual device that promotes any goods, brand of products, services or events and includes any logo, symbol, sign, notice or representation that is projected on to any exterior surface of a building or structure by light or any other means.
A signboard means any sign, notice, representation or other visual device containing all or any of the following information relating to the place or premises to which it is affixed:
- the identity or a description of the place or premises;
- the identity or a description of any person residing or carrying on an occupation at the place or premises;
- particulars of any business or occupation carried on at the place or premises, including any logo or symbol that identifies the business or occupation;
- such written directions or cautions as are usual or necessary relating to the place or premises or any occupation carried on there;
- particulars or notifications required or permitted to be displayed by any written law;
- particulars relating to the services dealt with or provided at the place or premises, including the operating hours of the premises or the business conducted at the place or premises and the prices of the goods and services;
but does not include any logo, symbol, sign, notice, representation or other visual device containing any other brand name or trade mark that promotes any goods or services.
A directional sign means an advertisement for the purpose of directing vehicular or pedestrian traffic to or advising the public of:
- the place of business of any person, firm, corporation or organisation;
- any facility for disabled persons, car park, taxi stand or other public facility; or
- the place or location where the promotion of any event, product, goods or services is taking place.
An animated billboard means an advertisement that displays, at any one time, one or more advertisements consisting of visual moving pictures or that are otherwise able to move or change colour due to the use of electrical, mechanical or other sources of power.
A balloon sign means an advertisement or signboard that is inflated, tethered to and suspended above any building or premises or open ground and is conspicuously visible against the sky from any street or building below.
A skysign means any advertising structure that is displayed:
- on or above the roof, parapet or eaves of a building or extends above the roof line of a building, and is conspicuously visible against the sky from any street or building below; and
- containing only particulars, including any logo or symbol, of the name or owner of the building to which it is affixed.
A banner means an advertisement painted or imprinted on cloth, vinyl sheet or other like materials that is tethered to and suspended on any building or structure.
With this basic understanding, the next question would be, “Do you need a license?”